These are a few of our favorite things…
This is a highly subjective list of our personal favorite things we encountered so far on our journeys. Tells us what you think or let us know your favorites.
Neuschwanstein – The castle that inspired Walt Disney’s Cinderella Castle in Walt Disney World.
King Ludwig II said, “I intend to rebuild the old castle ruins of Hohenschwangau by the Pollat Gorge in the genuine style of the old German Knightly fortresses……..the spot is one of the most beautiful that one could ever find. ”
1. Walk up the path to Marys Bridge, the view is amazing.
2. The crowds in the summer are horrible, try to visit off season.
San Diego Zoo – The largest zoo in the world.
Both my wife and I worked for the zoo. It is hands down the best zoo in the world.
1. Bring good walking shoes, the park is built in a series of canyons on steep slopes and it is huge.
2. The double-decker bus tour is worth the extra price as is the sky ride.
3. The black jaguar is named La Noche.
3. Christmas Place
Rothenburg ob der Tauber – Walking around this city is like being inside a Christmas snow globe.
1. The famous Rothenburg “dough balls” are not really that great, buy one and split it so you can say you tried one.
4. Drive in Europe (Ok, we have 2)
Ring of Kerry – Ireland’s famous scenic route around the Iveragh Peninsula
1. Wait until good, clear weather (which is rare) for this drive.
Alpine Loop through Tirol
1. Take about 3-5 days for this trip. Innsbruck is a neat little city. Take the gondola ride above the city up into the mountains, the view is amazing!
5. Drive in the United States
Pacific Coast Highway – U.S. Route 101 goes from the Los Angeles, California, along the west coast of America to Tumwater, Washington.
1. The entire route is over 1,500 miles long. Driving it will take a while. Pick a small segment that interests you and enjoy the experience.
2. The segment through the central part of California (Santa Barbra to San Francisco) is especially legendary for its beauty.
3. Summer time in a convertable is almost a religious experience!
4. If you drive the Washington part, stop in at the town of Forks (of Twilight fame) to see vampires and werewolves!
5. The sea lion caves in Oregon are worth a stop.
6. Definitely stop in the giant redwoods in northern California.
San Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica – There are many beautiful beaches, but this one has monkeys!
1. You are not supposed to feed the monkeys (yeh, right!).
7. Cathedral (This was very hard to pick just one, so we picked three)
Lincoln Cathedral – England
1. Ask about the story of the imp.
2. There are two tours: inside through the edifice and outside along the parapets. Both are great!
Salisbury Cathedral – England
1. This is home to one four original copies of the Magna Carta, so take time to see it.
St. Peter’s Basilica – The Vatican
1. Take time to pay your respects to the Popes in the tomb beneath the basilica.
2. The famous Pietà sculpture by Michelangelo is truly awe inspiring, look for it in the main basilica.
Georgia Aquarium – U.S.
1. By late in the morning, the lines can be very long, so get there right before opening.
Voodoo Doughnuts – Portland, OR
Now those are doughnuts!
1. Have your cholesterol checked immediately after eating one.
10. Travel Book
1,000 To See Before You Die – Patricia Schultz
We are trying to check off every place in the book!
11. Burger Joint
XXX Root Beer – Issaquah, Washington, USA
This fifty’s themed restaurant brews its own root beer! It also hosts impromptu cars shows on almost every weekend. The burgers are enormous, the garlic fires are sinful, and the milk shakes are made with real hand-scooped ice cream. If you are in the Seattle area, then the extra 15 minutes east on I-90 is worth the trip.
12. Chocolate Attraction – This is a hard one, but I will not stop until I try them all!
The Imhoff-Schokoladenmuseum – for those of you who do not speak German, it translates to chocolate museum
When in Cologne, Germany, this is definitely worth a stop. For us chocolate addicts, it is a pilgrimage. Yes, they have free samples and a gift store!
13. Adventure Vehicle
My Landie! 1973 Series III Land Rover
1. *WARNING* Only buy one if you know how to work on one.